CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"F. Leon Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:58:53 -0500
E-mail user:

Your e-mail to HOTMAIL users may end up in the wrong mailbox.

There has been a major and potentially serious problem with subscribers of
HOTMAIL.COM.

The extent of this problem will not be fully known until people return
from holiday vacations/breaks.

Many subscribers are receiving messages from discussion groups/lists to
which they are not subscribed.

============
Please note:
============

Private e-mail sent directly from your private address to a HOTMAIL.COM
address MAY also be incorrectly sent to other HOTMAIL users.

To date, only e-mail sent from Listserv's and similar discussion groups
mail servers are known/documented as being effected.

At this point 12/30/98 9:21:38 PM EST, there is no evidence that any
direct private e-mail is involved.

However, until such time that this situation is fully resolved by
HOTMAIL.COM, I suggest that people sending e-mail messages to and from
HOTMAIL accounts be very cautious.

* * Be very cautious with the contents you send to a HOTMAIL subscriber
* * until this problem of misdirected e-mail is 100% corrected.

HOTMAIL.COM engineers are working to fix this problem.

   a) Include a note say you are NOT subscribed to their list.
   b) Include the FULL HEADER.
      You may have to cut this feature on in your e-mail program.
      The List Owner needs the FULLER HEADER of the e-mail you are receiving.

2) Send your complaints to *all* of the addresses below:

Please use the archives to read any mail posted.

As soon as I received OFFICIAL verification that HOTMAIL engineers has
resolved this *very serious* problem, I will return all HOTMAIL
subscription to their full status.

I will notify you when the saga is over.  If you have questions, please
correspond direcly with me at the folloeing e-mail address:

NEED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?

If you would like technical information and/or updates regarding this
issue, please send an e-mail message to:

F. Leon Wilson
CODE One Communications