BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:33:50 GMT
Hello developers and researchers at Gatech RERC,

I am interested in making products more usable, but there is always
a limit on what can be done on mass-market products because of
cost constraints.  Therefore, it is proposed that each such product
has a means of access itself via an wireless link, such as Bluetooth.
The basic idea is that the product's user interface is extended
over the link to a personal accessor device (PAD), using a standard
protocol.   Then each person with a particular access problem can
have a PAD to suit themselves, and use it to access all appliances
that support the protocol.   The same PAD could be used to access
mobile phones, television sets and ATMs.

The TRACE center has gone a long way along this route with the
"universal remote" which is a kind of PAD, and which supports a protocol
called AIAP developed by the 'V2' committee.

My company, Cloudworld, is working in a European project called SILC,
and the spin-off is a wrist-warn PAD with Bluetooth.   We have been
in contact with Thad Starner and the wearables group based at Gatech
like yourselves.  There could be a lot of common ground.

I have written a paper on the PAD approach, see
   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk/bridgingthegap.htm

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk