BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 21:38:54 -0500
Hello all,

In the past few days, I have been seeing a TV ad for Jewish Heritage for
the Blind who are in New York.  The openning line of the ad is "Losing your
sight is a terrible thing".  It goes down hill from there. They are asking
for donation of vehicles to get money to help "poor blind folks and kids".
This "Fate worse than Death" and "Pity Party" mentality, I find offensive,
demeaning and downright insulting.  They also reenforce the common
misconception that if you are blind you read braille since no mention is
made of other alternate formats.  Maybe they do not know such formats exist.

I checked their website (it is not accessible) and found the usual
contstant use of the word "handicapped".  It seems that, as usual, we have
some well meaning sighted folks running the organization and deciding what
is best for those who are blind.

An E-mail address:  [log in to unmask]

I feel we need to get this ad off TV.  What do you think??

Pete