BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Al Gilman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:06:08 -0400
Have you talked to the national office of the ACB?

There seems to have been a breakthrough in subcommittee meetings working
toward a recommendation to the Access Board.

As I understand it, the principle is that a walk button should be placed
across the sidewalk from the curb cut and ramp.  This means it can be found
with existing button hardware and existing orientation aids (dog or cane).

But talk to the ACB.  They can explain it better than I.

Al

PS:

If blind people were to have to carry yet another device that was an
interrogator that would cause pedestrian walk-light buttons to chirp or
otherwise identify themselves, it would have to similarly wake up a lot of
other more common things.

I made a few grunts in this direction in a message archived at (long URL
warning):

  yet another physical link phenomenology enters the fray

http://trace.wisc.edu:8080/guest/archives/UACCESS-L/uaccess-l.0008/msg00005.
html