BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rev Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:13:23 -0500
Hello all,

Yesterday the news had a segment explaining the new security at the
airports.  Besides the long lines that many of us are unable to stand in,
they told how security personnel are trained to watch for people exhibiting
"unusual behavior" (body language).  As usual they did not explain what
they meant by "unusual behavior".  Of course, some of us PWD are very
familiar with what this means.  I have been stopped many times by police
for "unusual behavior".  I was once taken in handcuffs to a "hospital" by
campus police for my "unusual behavior".  Because I am unable to act like
others or do things the same as others, I am frequently "tagged as
fifferent".  I can just imagine what would happen to me if I went into an
airport.  All those with Tourette's syndrome, some seizures and similar
disorders are especially vulnerable.  Yes, it is discrimination, but with
the new "Homeland Securty", we must protect our citizens.  Which citizens
and from what?

Pete

"Go over, go under, go around or go thru; BUT NEVER GIVE UP"