BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:35:56 -0400
Kelly, You raise some excellent points.  it might be simpler to have the
screenreader report "link" where there is an alt tagless link which could
make it more universal.  as regards frames, I find that the site
reflecting frames and then putting the content in regular style below or
using a noframes option can be helpfull.
I am working on these issues and there is a lot on trace as you know.  The
blind are not the only ones by far that have issues of access.  I'd like
everyone's assistance in helping with the web portion of:
http://www.maryland.html.
I've gathered as much accessibility of the web info as I can find to point
to both on the resources and tools pages and could use some direction and
perhaps depending on your coments some substitution or deletion.  I only
have lynx msie and netscape to test with and my lynx is 2.07.
I have been using the telnet sites from time to time, but it can be
difficult depending on traffic and time of day.  We talk a lot on the web
content development lists about the broader issue of access and the wc3
access initiative is also working hard to provide some guidence.  Now
adays, I'd say if you can telnet to lynx 2.71 and use it effectively,
pages that allow access and use to it are accessible.  Then again, there
is the windows issue which makes things different indeed.  I would like to
see a way to expand what is read when tabbing around the links so that if
you land on the word boat, It might say riverboat.  I'd also like to see
something that provides for reading the whole link when the link is split
between lines in netscape.
this may be covered in the proximity thing.

Hands-On-Technolog(eye)s
touching the internet
voice: 1-(301) 949-7599
ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/poehlman