BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Diane Bomar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:08:25 -0600
There are several points in this article on which I wish to comment. It is
vital that when any of us are quoted for a news article that we insist on
proofing it before it is written.

>  Advocates for the blind say Mellon and PNC should provide voice-operated
machines.

We do not need "voice-operated machines" but, rather, voice-output
machines. This might seem picky, but output is easy, voice recognition
technology implementation is much more complex. It always amazes me when
talking with people about my use of technology, the prevalence of the
assumption that I need voice input because I cannot type. People in
general don't have a clue about the capabilities of blind persons, so it
is important, in my view, to be specific about needs.

>   Although most banks now have ATM machines with Braille raised-dot
>   coding along the keys for blind users, Young said, only 15 percent of
>   the blind are literate in Braille. Young said even those who are
>   Braille-literate, as he is, are not helped when the bank changes the
>   on-screen message or options on the ATM.

Here, again, it is the OUTPUT information that we do not have access to.
Part of the output information tells users which keys need to be pressed
for which functions.  Braille on the keys is helpful, but if that were
enough, then the print on the keys should suffice for sighted users and
the banks could do away with the screen!! It is the information from the
screen that we do not have access to. Just labeling the keys is useless
without information about what the keys do and when to press which one(s).

Also, I do not understand why "special" headphones would need to be
designed. I also do not onderstand the questions/comments/concerns
expressed on this list regarding carrying a "headset". Why couldn't we use
a simple earphone, you know those old'fashioned but still available little
bud-type device that goes in one ear and has a cord and a 1/8-inch jack.
Not as bulky as a headset, simple to carry, inexpensive to buy. I wouldn't
expect that the bank should have to provide that. If you have money in a
bank account, you can certainly afford a little earphone.

I believe that all of us should support this lawsuit. Independent use of
ATMs by blind persons is at least as important as physical access by
people in wheelchairs.

Diane Bomar