From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2018 17:28:26 -0600
Nice description.
I believe that voltage is 3 or 5 V on the computer mic jack.
If you want to get even more crazy, the 3.5MM plugs for cell phones is a 4
conducter plug with 2 rings and a sleeve.  These are for the phone headsets
that carry mic audio and audio from the phone.

Pretty much all pro audio line mixers have fantom power these days, even the
small 2 or 4 input mixers have a 48V switchable fantom power source.
The higher end mixers will have a 48V switch on each channel strip. some
have switches to apply 48V to groups of 4 XLR inputs on the mixer.  The
majority have 1 on/off switch for 48V usually located next to the main power
on/off switch.
Back in the days when the T-rex roamed the earth, and ferns grew aplenty,
and neanderthals were just a twinkle in someones eye, and when the earth was
still round and not flat hi hi, pro condenser mics used batteries because
only a few models of very high end mixers had 48V on the XLR jack.  You
could and still can get 48V power supplies that can be inserted into the mic
line to provide the fantom power to the mic.  But, with todays mixers having
48V as a pretty standard feature, those boxes are far less important.
The old classic Neuman and Telefunkin studio tube mics all used their own
dedicated power supplies.  Nowadays, they just come as is and you use the
power supply provided by whatever device you are plugging the mic into
weather it be a recording interface, mixer or whatever.
So instead of batteries in the condenser mics running down because people
would leave them on etc, the audio engineers bain is now wireless packs and
mics being left on and draining the batteries.
Some companies are getting pretty good at intelligent circuitry to put the
devices into stand by when they aren't being used to save batteries, but
it's still a fight with gear that doesn't have that option.
Some of the big touring acts like U2 for instance, have 48 wireless packs on
stage between guitar transmitters and vocal mic transmitters.  Those guys
don't even mess around, they simply change all the batteries out immediatley
prior to the show.  The newest wireless tech in the pro audio industry is
using half the power to accomplish the same job.  In otherwords, packs that
used to take 2 double A batteries now only require 1.  A high end long range
FM wireless guitar transmitter say 10 years ago would require 4 double A
batteries, and the same device now, using totally digital modes needs 1 for
the same range and same use time.
Thankfully I only have to deal with 4 wireless packs in my band, two headset
mics and two guitar packs, but even still, I tend to run through double A's
pretty quickly with at least 8 fresh batteries per show and usually a fresh
set every 3rd rehearsal or so.

73
Colin, V A6BKX