BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mary V. Tegel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 18:07:53 -0400
Sue,
The photo you show looks more like a peavey because of the hook on the end. It's used in logging to move logs by leverage. It's bent and I'm guessing there's a story about that -- otherwise, why would it be attached to a monument? A Johnson bar, or a spud bar is usually shorter than a peavy, and has no hook on the end. A Johnson/spud bar has  a wedge or point on the business end and sometimes has a head on the other end. It would have many uses. I have used mine to move large rocks and chunks of concrete, again by leverage. The names of these tools came to me from Idaho and Oregon in the local vernacular. I wonder what this tool is called elsewhere.

MVT

  Tegel Design + Planning