BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:21:14 -0500
> But John,
> That price would have to be for a project of 10 windows or more.
> I have people who want 1 or 2 windows done&  I can’t mobilized a crew for 4.5k.
> Jim HIcks

True enough. The figures are direct labor and materials costs only, that
include profit margins and normal overhead for ordinary shop work and
ordinary onsite work, but do not include the wide variety of variable
costs and special needs on every project, such as:
- economy of scale (as you mention above)
- mob. & de-mob. (as you mention)
- travel time outside of that included in normal overhead
- access to the window locations
- economic climate and local economic weather
- general contractor percentages
- etc.

The character & needs of the business is another important factor. It
sounds like you operate your business to serve the needs of larger
projects. Since the 1970s I've operated my business to serve the needs
of smaller building owners and projects. I'm just a one-guy outfit and I
thrive on projects that involve just a few windows at a time. Different
strokes for different folks.

John
by hammer and hand
great works do stand