C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 12:32:45 EDT
My son got a wheel chair at about that age. I called the insurance company
first and was told it wouldn't be covered since son was ambulatory; but
then I  had an OT who presently works in Lancaster, PA write up a lengthy
script for the  neccessity for a wheelchair and insurance covered it. My son used
it  at school because of fatigue walking down the halls and also on long
outings to  the zoo or museum. By high school he got another wheelchair
because of growth  and I gave the other one to charity. At present, he refuses to
use this  wheelchair and is walking long distances much better although he
gets blisters  on feet when overextending himself. My suggestion is to get an
evaluation by an  OT who specializes in W/C and once your child gets one,
insurance doesn't seem  to refuse another as child ages approximately every 5
years I think.  I believe your child would quickly outgrow the jogger
though. By the way, I  consider my son with mild CP as well. He's 18 now and I'm
going to see this OT  for a driving evaluation because I think he would need
hand controls since he  gets spasms in his legs with excitement or fear. So
we're on another  adventure.....
Cindy

In a message dated 5/17/2009 12:09:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,