CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeannie Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:51:28 -0500

My husband and my two oldest daughters are all being looked at for
possible Celiac, my husband because of long term irritable bowel
syndrome which has responded to a gluten free diet, one daughter from
chronic inability to gain weight and the other for many stomach/allergy
and ADD related issues. All have been to many regular and alternative
doctors with no or limited success.

My granddaughter (age 2) (from the daughter with the low weight problem)
has serious developmental delays which have responded very well to a
strict gluten, dairy and preservative free diet.

My two grandsons (ages 3 & 6 - from the daughter with the stomach and
allergy problems) have had mood, behavior and allergy problems since
birth. The oldest was wildly collicky for a year - even though he was
breastfed and solids were not introduced until 9 mos. They are both on
the Feingold diet, a diet which prevents them from ingesting or
absorbing any salicylates or preservatives. The diet helps somewhat -but
the boys have major mood flareups. A good deal of the food they are
allowed to eat on their diet consists of simple wheat-based carbohydrates.

Is there a correlation between bad moods and untreated Celiac?
Especially since Celiac is suspected in the older generations, I
wondered if there is reason to put the boys through a biopsy or blood
test to rule this possibility in or out. I don't know if my daughter
could stand instituting a "no gluten trial" without some concrete
indication that this could really help.

Thanks very much to anyone who can give me some advice in this area.

Jeannie

* General celiac discussions should be sent to CeliacMAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU *