CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

"J.V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:53:12 -0700

Dear Listmates,
I need your help.  I know that many of you are bold adventurers who
don't let your celiac get in the way of your lives, but we are not.

Can you please share your secrets for fear-free travelling with me?

We are contemplating our first trip away from home since our 12-year
old daughter was diagnosed with celiac last April.  Frankly, I am
terrified.  She is hyper sensitive not only to gluten, but also to
canola oil (and possibly has other food allergies -- we are checking
into it).

We have stopped eating out because no matter how carefully we order and
explain her situation, she seems to always get sick.

We need to learn how to travel with a sensitive celiac who is also
doesn't eat mammals or any sea creatures.  We need to get our lives
back to something resembling normalcy.

For starters, I need to know (1) how to order in a restaurant to
maximize the potential that the food she eats won't make her sick and
(2) how she can participate in multi-day overnight school field trips
where they plan to eat primarily at fast food restaurants and
convenience stores and other places where she will not be able to order
balanced meals (or possibly anything at all).  I also don't think there
will be enough room for her to bring much food with her. Her classmates
already give her a rough time about what she can and can't eat and
belittle her health problems, so we wouldn't expect any support there.

We were thinking of taking a driving trip to San Diego this month and
finding a place to rent with a kitchen.  I know there have been some
postings about good restaurants in the area.  Any thoughts about what
we should take (other than our own toaster oven) to make sure we can
cook gf?  How does one find grocery stores that carry gf items in an
unfamiliar city?

I will be infinitely grateful for any help you can provide and will
summarize.

Jackie in AZ

** Please remember some posters may be WHEAT-FREE, but not GLUTEN-FREE **