CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Gail Schrimmer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gail Schrimmer, PhD
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:06:00 -0400

Here are two articles related to teens and celiac diet decisions....

Gail

Bone in celiac disease.

Bianchi ML, Bardella MT.
Bone Metabolism Unit, Istituto Auxologico Italiano IRCCS, via Ludovico
Ariosto 13, 20155, Milan, Italy, [log in to unmask]

Chronic inflammation and malabsorption in celiac disease (CD) can cause bone
metabolism alterations and bone mineral loss in children and adults. Bone
status before and after gluten-free diet, epidemiology of fractures, and
possible treatment options for CD-related osteoporosis are presented.
Controversial aspects of this complication of CD are discussed. The
relationship between bone derangements and celiac disease (CD) was
recognized almost 50 years ago, but many questions are still open. We are
now aware that osteoporosis is a relatively frequent atypical presentation
of CD, especially in adults, and that undiagnosed CD can be the cause of
osteoporosis and related fractures. Chronic inflammatory intestinal
diseases, including CD, can affect bone and mineral metabolism because of
alterations in both systemic and local regulatory factors. The pathogenetic
processes are still controversial, but two main mechanisms seem to be
involved: intestinal malabsorption and the presence of chronic inflammation.
This review analyzes the published data on bone involvement in children,
adolescents, and adults either before or after a gluten-free diet. Special
attention is paid to the epidemiology of fractures in celiac patients,
considering that fractures are a major complication of osteoporosis and an
important problem in the management of a chronic disease like CD. The
usefulness of screening osteoporotic patients systematically for CD is still
an open question, but some rules can be given. Finally, the current
treatment options for children and adults are discussed. Recommendations for
future clinical research are proposed.

PMID: 18418638 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Related Articles
  a.. Bone and celiac disease. [Calcif Tissue Int. 2002]
  b.. Monitoring nonresponsive patients who have celiac disease.
[Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2006]
  c.. Bone mineral density and importance of a gluten-free diet in patients
with celiac disease in childhood. [Pediatrics. 2001]
  d.. [Reproduction, endocrine disorders and celiac disease: risk factors of
osteoporosis] [Minerva Med. 2006]
  e.. Skeletal and muscular status in juveniles with GFD treated clinical
and newly diagnosed atypical celiac disease--preliminary data. [J Clin
Densitom. 2007]
  f.. » See all Related Articles...
Menarcheal age in celiac disease may not be delayed and may be irrespective
of age at diagnosis and dietary management.
Sferlazzas C, Arrigo T, Salzano G, Pellegrino S, La Fauci G, Rulli I,
Magazzù G, De Luca F.
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Cystic Fibrosis, Department of
Pediatrics, University of Messina, Messina, Italy.

The aim of the present study was to evaluate the role played by age at
diagnosis of celiac disease (CD), dietary management and menarcheal familiar
antecedents in conditioning menarcheal age (MA) in CD. This study covers a
population of 94 menarcheal adolescents with untreated CD, whose MA was
compared with that of 3 control populations: the 1st consisting of 117
early-treated and compliant CD girls, the 2nd represented by their
non-celiac mothers, and the 3rd consisting of 280 healthy adolescents.
Average MA of the girls with post-menarcheal diagnosis of CD was
superimposable to that of the patients with pre-menarcheal diagnosis and was
no different from the one of their mothers or that of healthy controls. The
prevalence of delayed menarche was similar in the patients with either
pre-menarcheal or post-menarcheal diagnosis of CD. A direct correlation
between patients' MA and that of their mothers was detected in both groups
of CD patients. We conclude that: a) untreated CD may not be associated with
menarcheal retardation; b) MA in CD is significantly affected by maternal MA
and may be irrespective of age at diagnosis and dietary management.

PMID: 18560261 [PubMed - in process]