CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:41:14 -0400

(I posted this yesterday but it doesn't seemed to have gone through, sorry if it duplicates)

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for being so helpful and caring. All of you really went out of your way to welcome me to your group---thank you.

Our family health issues are a bit complicated, so I will try and keep it short. I'm posting this information in hopes to see if any of you have heard of these issues possible being related to CD.

My husband and I have four children, 3 girls 17, 15, 11 and one son about to turn 8.

When our youngest daughter was 3 1/2 she was diagnosed with leukemia (acute lymphoblastic leukemia- A.L.L for short) Leukemia is a cancer of the blood. Treatment for leukemia is 3 yrs of chemotherapy. Our daughter completed the 3 yrs. but 16 months after that her cancer came back. Three months into her very intense chemotherapy our son whowas 21 months old at the time was dx with the same type of leukemia. Both our children spent the next 2 1/2 yrs together receiving chemotherapy. 14 months after our daughter completed her treatment her cancer came back again, this time she needed a bone marrow transplant. She spent the next 5 months striaght in the hospital fighting infections and trying to get into remission. She received her transplant in Oct. 07 sadly she passed away 3 months later due to complication Dec. 8, 2007.

Our son finished his treatment in July 2006. He is now almost 4 yrs off treatment and will be considered cured at the 5 yr mark. Last sept he suddenlt became allergic to eggs. He had eaten eggs all his life but on night I made scrammbled eggs for dinner. Shorlty after eating a few bites he told me his throat felt like it was "plogged up" he was getting upset and rubbing his neck, he also complained that his throat was itchy, his nose started running and he started coughing. (During his treatment for leukemia he had an anaphalaxis reaction to a chemo drug at that time coughing was his only symptoms with in a min he went into a full blown anaphalxis shock) so when he started the coughing I knew right away this was an allergic reactions I gave him two benadryl and because he seemed to be calm and things seemed to be "under control" I watch him close to see if he needed to head to er, the benadryl worked great and after an hour his symptoms were just about gone. They very next day I took him in to be tested, his blood work came back with an extremely high allergy to egg white and moderate to yolk, the following week I had the skin prick tests done which confirmed his egg allergy, plus rag weed and hay fever. He has illness induced asthma. He was perscribed an epi pen along with other meds. He can eat baked things that have egg in them just not plain eggs. I find it so strange that at age 7 he all of a sudden has an egg allergy but the dr said it is common, usually though he said kids are dx with it at an early age and out grow it by the time they turn 7, since he was dx at 7 he thinks this is something he will always have and to keep an eye on him to see if he suddenly can not tolerate baked goods with eggs. Oh he also has moderate excema. For the past two months he has had this "rash" on his arms, buttocks and back of thighs. I thought this was excema, but after reading all the symptoms of CD I'm thinking its the rash that goes along with CD. I was just saying to y husband the other day that his rash does not look like his "regular" excema rash which is uaually patchy red dry looking areas. The rash he has now it almost like pimples, but they dont have any heads or blisters on them, although come to think of it he scratches them constantly nad if they had heads on them I probably would not know. He also has the rash inside his butt cheeks, being alomst 8 he will not let me see him naked. I have of course made him show me these areas but I don't make him show me every day.

My 17 yr old sufferes from depression and anxiety. I always figured it was from the her sister passing away, I'm sure that a huge part of it, but as I look back she has always been a more "tense" child. She was only 6 when her sister was first dx, so its hard to tell if her being depressed is from all our family issues or from a variety of things. Again while reading about CD symptoms I was surprised to see that depression and anxiety can be a sign of CD.

Wow sorry I was really trying to keep it short, I didn't even get to my issues or my husbands stuff, another time! I will throw in real quick that i was just dx with "Chiari malformation 1" its basically, the skull is a bit smaller than usualy so part of the brain, called the "tonsils" hang down into the brain stem area and make the flow of cns fluid slower.

ok thats it i promise!

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *