CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Debbie Fusco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 14:30:51 -0600

At 08:58 AM 6/26/97 EDT, Paula R. Sayers, Tulsa, OK wrote:

>I have a daughter who will be entering kindergarten when school starts.
>Does anyone have any advice on how to let the teacher know that my
>daughter has Celiac?  Who else should I tell?  Thank you in advance.

I asked the same thing last year when my son started 1st grade.
Several people suggested printing the FAQ list or summary of
Celiac Disease on the Archives home page.  Or, Betty Hagman's
"Gluten Free Gourmet" has an excellent little summary you can
share with the teacher.  CSA/USA also has a trifold brochure
on Celiac Students.  I think a one-on-one meeting is also
very important.

Around here, teachers start work a week before school.  If you
can get an appointment to talk to the teacher before school starts,
he/she will more likely have time for a one-on-one talk.  I met
with my son's teacher over lunch on the second day of school.

I summarized how seriously ill he used to be and how important
the diet is.  When talking to teachers, I explain that gluten
is a poison in his system and not merely an allergy.  I use the
example of how much rat poison would you allow the other children
to be exposed to.  This impress the seriousness, and then I assure
them that he won't go into shock and die from an accidental
exposure.

Some things to remind the teacher:
Birthday party treats are a problem, can you leave some safe snacks?
Don't involve your child in cooking when wheat flour is involved.
Especially in the younger years, they like to practice measuring
and such.  (I donated a big bag of rice flour for this activity so
nobody was spreading wheat flour in the air.)
Paper mache and other art projects may be dangerous activities.
Lunches - if you pack lunches, have a backup plan if your child
forgets their lunch.  I drop my son off at a daycare that takes
him to school.  Several times he left his lunch on the van or
at the daycare.  The teacher was aware of his diet and could
help him choose safe foods from the fruit and salad bar.

Debbie Fusco, Fort Collins, CO