CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:42:01 -0500

Last Wed., I had an experience similar to Dawn with my preschooler. At the
beginning of the school year I gave the teacher handouts from the Celiac
and GIG websites and I also talked to her extensively about my 3 yr. old
son's diet.  Well, just last week he came home from school with a Fruit
Loop necklace on and was trying to eat it on the way home!  I got it from
him, threw it away and washed him off, all while he was crying with
disappointment and lack of understanding and telling me how the other kids
got to eat their necklace. I immediately called the teacher and she said,
"I didn't know he couldn't have Fruit Loops. I asked him [a 3 yr. old!] and
he said he could have them."   I could not believe my ears.  I told her he
does not know what is gf and he probably saw the colorful, sugar coated
cereal and wanted it, so of course he told her he could have them. Plus he
has not had gluten since he was 6 months old, so how on earth would he
recognize it?  Then she said, "So he probably shouldn't string pasta,
either, right?"  We had covered this subject at the beginning of the year.
I thought I had made it clear that he could not even handle gluten.  At the
beginning of the school year, I had provided her with two of the expensive
tubs of gf playdough for him, his own crayons, his own paints, etc., so why
on earth would she think he could string Fruit Loops or wheat pasta??!!

Thanks for letting me vent.  I guess it just goes to show that no matter
how much we try to educate them, there will just be some people who don't
get it.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *