CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michelle Hartzell-Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Hartzell-Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:39:08 -0600

Thanks everyone for your input!  Each and every idea was greatly
appreciated!  I knew there was no magic cure, but it's good to know there
are a few things we can do to ease the symptoms when it happens again.  For
those of you interested, I've compiled the responses at the end of my
message.

It's a week later, my son seems to be on the mend.  He not only suffers from
the typical stomach ailments, but once in his bloodstream, he experiences
muscle aches, irritability, hypersensitivity to light and sound, speech
problems, irrational in crowds, and on, and on.  As you can see, it takes
several days to clear his system, and until it does, it is a rough ride (for
all of us).  Fortunately, his sister and I don't experience all the same
symptoms, but we also have cd.

Again Thank you!

Michelle

I had a request for a compilation of the answers I received, so here it is.
(I apologize in advance for the poor formatting)

1) Here are 2 non-drug things that I find help my son:

- Lots of water.  This helps flush the system.
- If you gently probe the right side of the abdomen you may be able to sense
the spasms which accompany the reaction. I find if my son will let me I can
message the area and reduce the spasms. (My son experiences shooting pains
down his leg when these spasms occur.

2) ENZYMES!!! do a search, Im at work right now so cant.. we just hit the
same bump in the road today!
(you can get them at Natural Food stores.. I wouldnt go to GNc.. you are
never sure what is really in those .. just a nat fd store should be able to
provide.

3) Alka-seltzer Gold is good, not only for GI symptoms but to help
alkalinize the blood.  This decreases other symptoms.

4) My daughter takes the chewable Pepto-Bismol to help calm her stomach.
Hope this is helpful.

5) I heard there was some type of power - almost like a "BromoSeltzer" if
you will - but have never tried it or seen it -

6) You could try giving him acidophilous or similar supplement. It helps
support intestinal flora that are destroyed with exposure. THere are some
kinds of yogurt that have extra supplements in them, but I'm not sure how
good they are. Activated charcoal is also good for binding to toxins, but
can be difficult for a child who can't swallow pills (my 4 year old can't,
but the 8 year old can). Personally, I would also cut back on sugar and give
him whole foods that will digest easily and quickly, to try to move the
gluten out as quickly as possible. Good luck to you!

7) St. John's Wart tincture helps (maybe because it has anti-
inflammatory properties).

8) I have found Benadryl Allergy - the whole dose for that age - to be the
most
helpful. I take it at bedtime for about 5 nights until the symptoms are
lessened. Tylenol PM might be the best because it is Tylenol and Benadryl -
the combination calms down the reaction in the gut. Both my daughter and I
are celiac and have been for 30 years, so are well practiced in problem
solving these issues. I am an RN, MN and she is now a MD. So that also gives
us the medical background to apply to our issues. Hope this helps. If you
find other good solutions, pass them on.

9) We have found that activated charcoal capsules help. This is the same
stuff that they give you in the emergency room if you get into poison. Also,
tonic water helps me but my kids hate the taste. The sooner it is passed
through the system the faster he will feel better.

10) I can only suggest a fairly bland
diet for a couple of days, especially bananas, rice, applesauce, plain
chicken, chicken soup, etc.  And lots of water!  Sometimes a heating pad
helps if they've got stomach cramps.  Situations like this make you want to
dress your kids in a t-shirt that says "Please don't feed my child!"

11) Your best bet is to start teaching your son to check all his food and
say "no".   I did that with my kids and we have saved ourselves tons
of heartbreak.  Four is plenty old  enough for the child to learn to
refuse to take anything that hasn't been confirmed gluten free, it's
his health and he is going to have to learn to take responsibility.

Note: He's really good about not taking food from other kids; now, he needs
to not fully trust adults giving him food :)

12) Our son eats yogurt or takes probiotics.  He seems to get relief this
way.  We also give him tonic water.  Nothing heavy to eat for the
first day.

13) Okay, this isn't proven, but I read on the listserv once that dried
orange
peels help, and I think they do.

14) The only suggestions I have really are to make sure he gets a multilple
vitamin...especially now, because absorbing nutrients will not be optimal
while his digestive tract has suffered from the contamination.  The other
thing is that you might want to limit dairy intake for the first week or
two...After my kids were diagnosed the doctors had me limit it for a while
because it somehow was somehow not good for the healing process for the
villi.

---------------------- Information from the mail