CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Touchet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Touchet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:58:34 -0700

My daughter is 3 1/2 years old and we have a very
tenuous Celiac diagnosis.  I would like to know if
anyone else has experienced similar issues.  She grew
normally until she was one.  Then from 1 - 2 she only
grew 2 inches and 2 pounds.  At age 3 she started
complaining of stomach aches.  (not very bad but
almost everyday.)  She also is fairly moody and
doesn't have a bowel movement everyday but those are
very tenuous "symptoms".  I realize they may just be
her.  Her growth picked up some from 2 -3 but she
never caught up.  Her brother who is one year younger
is a head taller.  My first cousin's baby at 2 years
old got sick and has biopsy-confirmed celiac so we got
my daughter tested.  She had weak positive blood
levels and with a swab of the inside of her mouth she
came out with having the genes for celiac.  She also
had moderate steattorhea.  We did the biopsy and
everything looked fine so the docs just said, "She's
fine, call the nutritionist on our staff if you want."
 After a long conversation with her we decided to go
ahead with the gluten-free diet about a month ago and
it's been okay.  Still some stomachaches mostly before
bowel movements.  I don't really know what we are
expecting to see or how we will determine if she
"really" has celiac but we couldn't not try the diet.
Any suggestions?

* General celiac discussions should be sent to CeliacMAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU *