CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bette Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:28:02 -0700

Hi,

I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce us...My name is Bette and my
18 month old son is Zachary. Due to a very strong family history with
celiac (including myself, my mother and probably my brother and
grandmother) I'm keeping Zachary gluten-free until he's older. So far it's
been relatively easy. Having a two year head start practicing a GF diet
myself has helped alot.

If anyone has any thoughts on when would be a good time to test/introduce
gluten, I'd appreciate your suggestions. I consulted a
pediatric-gastroenterologist about this and didn't learn anything I hadn't
already figured out for myself via the Net. He repeated the medical dogma
that celiac is only 'mildly genetic' and basically told me we could do the
blood tests any time I wanted to introduce Zachary to gluten.

To be honest, Zach's already ingested gluten. Yesterday I walked into the
kitchen to find that he'd pulled down the bag of cat kibble (the only
gluten in the house) and he and the cat were happily sharing a snack. (No
reaction fortunately, plus his coat has been nice and shiney.) Is there
such a thing as gluten free cat-kibble? <g>

On the recipe front...I've developed some killer GF recipes. Even my
gluten-eating friends have started buying GF flours so they can bake them.
Most of the recipes are adaptations or modifications from Bette Hagman's
books or from the Sylvan Border Farm GF flour package. My personal favorite
is my buttermilk scone recipe which is original. So far I've gotten around
to posting my basic bread recipe on our web site
(http://www.ncal.verio.com/~bette) but I hope to add more this weekend.

Bette
& Zachary