CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:27:20 EDT

Dear Listmates:
Thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry re: gf fajita marinade.  As
kids so often do, she changed her mind and wants something else.  Here are
the responses and two very delicious sounding recipes!  I've decided to try
these for dinner some time - they sound very yummy!
Peacefully,
Amy G  Chicago, IL area (USA)

#868 Fajita Seasoning
***We use McCormick's Mesquite Marinade (for chicken anyway).

***Ole El Paso Taco Seasoning is GF so that may be a company that also has a
GF pack of Fajita Seasoning. Mission Brand Corn Tortilla Shells actually state
GF on the label

****Chicken Fajitas
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 cup canned chicken broth
4 boneless chicken breast halves, skinned, cut into strips
Warm tortillas  (use corn)
1 tomato, chopped
1 avocado, peeled, chopped
1 cup purchased salsa
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell
pepper and sauté until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add cumin, paprika,
cayenne, garlic powder, oregano and thyme and continue cooking 1 minute. Mix
in broth and bring to boil. Add chicken and stir until cooked through, about
5 minutes. Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas. Top with tomato and
avocado. Roll up. Serve, passing salsa separately.

***In the UK Discovery foods manufacture a range of mexican foods including
Gluten free wraps, Tortillas and Seasonings web address
http://www.discoveryfoods.co.uk   These are available at normal food stores.

***I think it is Lawry brand that is GFCF- I would check out the Wal-mart
Brand also

***For 2 chicken breasts:
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup corn oil
1 TLBS sugar
1 Tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp chili powder (more is better here)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 Pinch tumeric (Just a whiff is best)
Mix until the sugar disolves and place in a ziplock bag with chicken.  Shake
well and let marinade for 15 minutes (no more).  Grill chicken.
While chicken is grilling stir fry Green, Red, Cubanelle, etc peppers with
one sliced onion. 5 - 10 Mins max. Take grilled chicken, slice in strips ~ 1/2
inch wide and add to vegetables.  Toss a couple of times on high heat and place
on table still sizzling.

**Try Gluten Free Pantry  #868 Fajita Seasoning.  This is a spice mix.  You
can make a marinade by mixing with olive oil, cider vinegar, and/or water.

* Cel-Kids Web Page:  http://www.enabling.org/ia/cel-kids *