CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Laura B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura B.
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:09:11 -0400

Hi All,

Sorry this took so long  - I received a lot of great ideas and some very
creative ones!  I actually compiled a "raw" list of responses from everyone
that came out to 19 pages long.  I tried to attach the document to a message
and the message was rejected.  The message was also too long to cut and
paste into this message.  So, I summarized all responses.

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to email the word doc of all the raw
to summarize the ideas.  There were a couple of older lists that people emailed
to me - I didn't include all items on those lists because I wasn't sure if some
of these items were still GF.  But again, if you are interested in the raw
summary - please send me a quick note.

I hope this helps everyone this school year:

Thermos Meals:
•	Lundberg Family Farms Rice Xpress – GF Flavors:  Chicken & Herb,
Santa Fe Grill, Classic Beef
•	Orgran’s canned GF spaghetti – Available also in mini “Pop Top” cans
•	Slice up a polenta log and put marinara sauce on it
•	Allergaroo’s Microwave Pasta (available at the Gluten Free Mall)
•	Thai Kitchen Noodles – see
http://www.thaikitchen.com/allergyinfo.html  for a listing of their GF Products
•	GF Macaroni & Cheese (Try Amy’s Frozen Rice GF Mac & Cheese)
•	Left Overs from Last Night’s Meal
•	Soup (send along with GF crackers)
•	Surprise your child at school and drop off a hot grilled cheese
sandwhich (or hot dog, etc…)
•	Meatballs with sauce over rice
•	Chili in a thermos or soup and home made corn bread
•	Rice or corn pasta with sauce

Cold Items:
•	Hard Boiled Eggs
•	GF Crackers & Cheese (Make a GF “lunchables” kit for your child)
•	Fruit Salad (maybe with Yogurt Dressing – Mix some Yogurt with a
bit of Honey)
•	Peanut Butter & Jelly on GF Bread (some like to - the bread to keep
it from getting soggy).  Pamela’s Wheat Free Bread Mix (you can make in a
bread maker) tastes great.  See also Breads from Anna.*  For an added treat –
 use a cookie cutter to cut the sandwich out into a cute shape.
•	PB&J on Banana bread
•	Ham & Cheese on GF Bread (spread the bread with butter or cream
cheese or mayo to give the bread a little moisture).  Boars Head and
Applegate Farms are 2 GF brands.  Remember to have the grocery store wash
the slicer prior to slicing GF meat.
•	Tuna salad on GF Bread (perhaps pretoast the bread to prevent
sogginess)
•	Corn Tortilla Lavash Sandwiches
•	Egg or Tuna Salad with GF Crackers to Dip in
•	GF English Muffins or Bagel – lightly toasted – use for a sandwich or
spread with Cream Cheese, Peanut Butter, etc… - Celiac Specialties makes an
excellent English Muffin
•	Lettuce Wraps (Use Boston Leaf Lettuce – roll up cold cuts and
cheese)
•	Cold GF Pizza
•	Cereal
•	Make pancakes on the weekend.  Make extra pancakes and freeze
them for other breakfasts or to use as a sort of sandwich bread (make a
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich using 2 pancakes).
•	Rice/Corn Cakes with PB&J

Snacks:
•	Yogurt (Yoplait, Brown Cow, Horizon Organic, etc…)
•	Donut Holes from Celiac Specialities
•	GF Pretzels
•	String Cheese
•	Trail Mix – Mix GF Rice Chex with white/chocolate chips, gummy
bears, GF pretzels, raisins, GF mini Marshmallows, etc…)
•	Homemade GF brownies or cookies
•	Apple Sauce
•	Cereal Bars
•	Carrots with Dressing to Dip
•	Chocolate Granola Bars – Enjoy Life brand
•	Potato Chips / Fritos – See Fito Lay Products – many are GF
•	Cheese Puffs / Curls – Michael Season’s Brand is delicious
•	Popcorn (check ingredients)
•	Cottage Cheese
•	Jello Cups
•	Fruit Leather/Strips – Many are GF
•	Peanut butter or cream cheese inside a celery stick with raisins on it
(ants on a log).
•	Candy – Hershey’s bar, Hershey’s Kisses, Reese’s Peanut Butter
Cups, M&Ms, etc…
•	Fruit with Honey, Peanut Butter, Fluff, etc… for dipping
•	Vegetables with Dip, Hummus, etc… for dipping

Backup treats at school for Birthday Parties:
•	Candy Bars – such as Hershey Bars
•	Make Cupcakes or Brownies – Ask the School to keep them in the
freezer
•	Cereal Bars
•	GF Popsicles or Ice Cream Bars?
•	Ice Cream Cups (Make sure you the brand you buy is GF)
•	Individual cookie packets – Pamela’s makes GF cookies in packets of 2

Regards,
Laura

** Please remember some posters may be WHEAT-FREE, but not GLUTEN-FREE **