CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bev Wolfus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:04:25 -0500

I want to thank everyone who provided ideas for dealing with my daughter
who continues to have stomache aches even though I think we have
eliminated gluten from her diet. I will be trying some of the
suggestions. The are summarized below:

Getting rid of contamination:

  a.. regular washing of dishes OK but use separate colander for
draining pasta and muffin tin

  b.. consider using an extra rinse cycle, or better yet an extra
pre-wash cycle to prepare the dishes for soaping

  c.. rinse your dishes before the food dries on - can make a big
difference for plates with pasta residue, pancakes, or whatever.

  d.. keep a separate drawer for cookware, etc that is certified
"gluten-free" - maybe wash these items by hand so that they remain
separated from the gluten-cookware.

  e.. keep a separate toaster, cookie sheet, cutting board f.. do not
use wooden utensils or boards g.. check for residue on all dishes, hand
washed or machine washed h.. use dishwasher rather than wash dishes by
hand - cleans better

Dietary approahces to dealing with stomache aches:

  a.. elimination diet - systematically take out different foods for
periods of time (e.g., 2 weeks) and see if this makes a difference

  b.. eliminate chocolate, yogurt, fruit juices

  c.. add a daily serving of yogurt