CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
celiacx7 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:06:32 -0400

My original post:

I have been concerned about my 12 yr. old's moods, fatigue, and lack of concentration even though he has been on the gf diet for 2 years. Recently I read that may be a vitamin b12 deficiency. The vitamins he currently takes have very little b vitamins in them.
I take 500 mcg of b12 everyday- is that too much for a 12 yr. old?

Do any of you give your adolescents b12 supplements -- which one?

It was suggested by several people that I should have his vitamin levels checked first. The other replies are below.

I decided to take that advice and have his vitamin levels tested before giving him any b12.  However, when I asked my family doctor, he said he had never heard of testing for vitamin levels and wouldn't know how.  So, I made an appt. with our pediatric GI to have it taken care of.
Thanks for all of the responses!
Laurie

 ...My daughter's G.I. did prescribe folic acid for her.  She is  now 16, but he started her on it about 2 years ago.

I just recently started my son on a sublingual (under the tongue) B12
and an iron supplement (floradix herbal extract iron supplement) and
I noticed an improvement in his overall disposition within a few
days. You have to watch with iron because you can take too much -
but this foradix only has 7 mg in each tablet. The B12 just flushes
out if you take too much - I had a B12 deficiency a few years ago and
I was told to take 3000 mcg each day for about 3 months.

The B vitamins seem to not be absorbed as much as needed - I've noticed a huge difference in myself and my two daughters (all of us celiac) by using LIQUID b vitamins - not the tablets. They absorb quicker - found them at our local health food store. My 14 year old even has a spray B12 that she uses and loves it for helping her feel more energetic and less moody. My 7 year old likes the soft sublingual tablets that dissolve easily for her.

I would give him twice what you are taking. Also be sure that he
takes extra folic acid (at least 800 ug) and vitamin B6 (~50 mg a few
times a week). B12, folic acid and B6 are important for red cell
formation, brain development and function and folic acid and B12 are
important for DNA repair. [Bread products that contain wheat are
fortified with B vitamins; however, most products for celiacs (who
are particularly at risk for deficiency) are not fortified.]

Do not give him folic acid without also giving B12 because folic acid
can mask the symptoms of B12 deficiency. You should probably have
some blood work done to see if he is anemic. There are several types
of anemia and can be due to iron, copper, B12, or folic acid. Make
sure he is taking a good multivitamin with minerals every day.

Consider taking him to a dietician or nutritionist who
specializes in Celiac disease.

Hi - I have a 12 year old celiac daughter with the same issues.  I have been blaming it on hormones kicking in but I would be very interested in the reponses you get.

I ONLY give my celiac child any extra supplements for clinically proven
deficiencies. It is easy to get a vitamin B12 blood level drawn; why not
make sure of what you are dealing with before starting what could be the
wrong treatment? What you describe could easily be due to thyroid or other
problems.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *