CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Simone Martinovic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simone Martinovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:36:39 -0500

Dear All thanks for your responses, as there were so many I will try to
highlight some of the information I received, with much gratitude.

Dr. William Sears (world-renowned pediatrician) has actually done a fair
amount of research on the interactions between food and behavior. You
may want to look for some books by him. He specifically addresses food
allergies and

what is called ADD/ADHD and how the symptoms of food allergies often
mimic ADD/ADHD. Additonally, you might want to have your son tested for
food allergies. Granted, Celiac disease is not an allergy to gluten,
it's an autoimmune response, but many children and adults who have
Celiac also have underlying food sensitivities. I would recommend
locating a trained allergist in your area to run blood or skin panels to

check for allergies to common foods such as dairy, peanuts, beef, corn,
soy, and maybe a few others. Yes, there is a "detox" period. Our doctor
told us it could take at least six months and possibly up to a year. I
did discover several years ago, that limiting corn products made a huge
change in Kate's behavior. Corn is a known allergen and also known to
cause behavior problems in children. Remember, Corn is a form of sugar
known to used as sweeteners

Some naturopathic nutritionists (such as Kelly Dorfman in N. Potomac
Maryland USA) can provide you with information. Another good source is
www.devdelay.org. Good Luck.

One thing that will be very important is to quickly move to create a
truly gluten free environment for your son. That means that anything in
your house that has been exposed to gluten be removed and replaced.
Pots, pans, dishes, etc. We have separate dishes and utensils for our
son but all pots and cooking tools are gluten free and have always been.
It has been a difficult transition but the faster and more complete the
change the easier everything else will be. Just recently our Behavioral
Pediatrician sent us a recent article from PEDIATRICS VOL 113 No 6 June
2004. The title of the article is RANGE OF NEUROLOGIC DISORDERS IN
PATIENTS WITH CELIAC DISEASE. The results stated that patients with
celiac disease were more prone to develop neurologic disorders (51.4%)
in comparison with control subjects (19.9%).

I thought some of you out there may also find this article interesting.
I,m sorry that I can't provide a link, as I just received the hard copy,
but I would think an internet search should come up with it.

RANGE OF NEUROLOGIC DI SORDERS IN PATIENTS WITH CELIAC DISEASE

PEDIATRICS(ISSN 003314005) Vol. 113 No. 6 June 2004

It is from the Department of Pediatrics, Carmel MEdical Center,
Technion- Isreal Institiute of Technology, Haifa Isreal.

Simone Martinovic
Trainee
Martin College
Level 2 Village Lane
20-32 Lake Street
Cairns QLD 4870
Ph:( 07) 40 317 422
Fx:( 07) 40 317 949
Study Group Australia Pty Ltd
CRICOS Provider Code : 01755D

This message and/or any attached documents may contain privileged and
confidential information and should only be read by those persons to
whom it is addressed.

The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail are the sender's own,
and do not necessarily represent the view and opinion of Study Group.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *