CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:49:37 -0400

I wonder if anyone has experienced this with their child.  Mine was
diagnosed May of 2008.  His symptoms were gastrointestinal, as well as short
stature.  After we started the diet, the gastrointestinal symptoms went away
almost immediately.  We were anticipating big "catch up" growth but that has
not happened.  Granted we had a few "mess ups" with the diet early on, but
those have gotten much better.  Last TtG-IgA was 3, the best yet, though
that was 6 months ago (we are due for one next week.)

At diagnosis, his bone age was 2 plus years behind his chronological age (he
was 10 1/2 at the time.)  Now that he is almost 12, the bone age scan this
July shows the same amount of delay.  Growth is still very slow, only about
2 inches per year.  So there has been no "bone age" progress.  We are now,
thanks to a pediatric endocrinologist, on vitamin D3 as well as a very
potent vitamin.

I would be very grateful for any input from those who have had this
experience.  Does it just take a long time to start to "catch up"?  His
blood work numbers (thyroid, growth hormone factors, etc.) are all within
normal limits.  We were so hopeful after all of the catch up growth stories
that we'd read but none of that has happened so would love some insight.

Would also be grateful for the name of a pediatric gastro expert who
specializes in CD.

Thank you!

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *