CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:24:50 -0500

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the wonderful responses to my 'terrible 2' issues I am
having with my son with CD.  I think just knowing that we are not the only
ones that have gone through this has helped us tremendously.  I couldn't
respond to everyone but definitely wanted to note that every single one
helped...THANKS!!!

It is pretty impossible to summarize all the great comments so I will try
to highlight the most often mentioned:

1.  Get Ellyn Satter's 'Child of Mine' book (out of print on Amazon but
you can find it in bookstores still or find used)...It is GREAT in just a
basic, common sense approach to feeding your kids.  I found this very
helpful in setting new ground rules for me and my son...a few also
suggested 'Unplugging Power Struggles' by Jan Faull - I haven't bought
this yet but I probably will soon..it sounds good...

2.  Stop negatively reinforcement and focus on positive
reinforcement...sound obvious but can be hard

3.  Get child more involved in food process...let him help cook, decorate,
etc...get him more interested in what he is suppose to eat...

4.  take the stress out - obvious again - making the mealtimes more
stressful was a lose/lose for everyone...do what you can to make it as
relaxing, (i.e. not a battle) as you can....

5.  Many folks said 'he won't starve..he will eat when he gets
hungry'..again, an obvious suggestion..I think this one heavily depends on
the health of your child...we saw our pediatric GI before doing this for
his opinion and I would suggest doing this as well if your child is
recently diagnosed (just to do a sanity check to make sure he is healthy
enough)....

6.  give him (and yourself) a break - Many folks reminded me that my son
probably still has pain or at least remembers the pain from eating and
that we should not get too worked up over his eating habits right
now..give him a break for a while...and give yourself a break...Celiac is
hard on everyone so don't sweat the seemingly  small stuff...always a good
reminder...

7.  Get help if you think you need it - Many folks told me to trust
myself  and go to a child psychologist if we thought it necessary.  My
husband and I are going back and forth on this..we've talked with one and
are trying some of her initial suggestions and then waiting a few weeks to
see how successful....but I must tell you that many of her suggestions are
the same as above....

8.  What out for fluids - he may be filling up on fluids (milk, juice,
etc.) so he is not hungry for meals....Jason was doing this so a good
suggestion to limit fluids so it doesn't disrupt meals...

9.  Overall most folks just suggested that I just treat him like a normal
toddler as much as possible..if I make a big deal over food with him, he
will continue to act up since he is getting the attention etc..again,
obvious but I needed to hear it from people I don't know...

I especially want to thanks the people with the kids with more severe
eating problems.  I know that there is no 'answer out there'.  I think
just knowing that we are not alone made the biggest difference of all.  I
appreciate all of you kind words and direct, frank emails..it was what we
needed to hear....especially the reminder that this celiac thing does get
easier over time...thank goodness...

Happy eating everyone...