CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bev Prevost <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:41:48 EST

Hi Ginny, I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Could you say what kind of
insulin you are taking-is it Humalog (very fast acting),Humulin R (regular
acting), Humulin N (long-acting), Lente(even longer/slower acting) ?? Are you
on a "sliding scale" where you give yourself anywhere from a lower amount to
a higher amount  of insulin (say, 9 units to 13 units or something)depending
on your blood sugar?Or do you always give yourself the same amount?

Our daughter Marnie uses all the above kinds of insulin except the Lente, at
different times of the day (before bed she uses the N) and has a sliding
scale. I do know that if the food you eat to raise your blood sugar has a
higher fat content it may not kick in until sometime much later. When your
blood sugar has been low in the middle of the night you would first drink a
juice, 4-6 oz, to raise it immediately, and then follow that with a
longer-acting carb like crackers to sustain it.

Bev, outside Chicago.