CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Diane B.Jacobs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane B.Jacobs
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:06:05 -0500

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and recently Dx with classic metabolic dysfunction/serum insulin issue and there is diabetes in my family as well. I have felt pretty awful much of the time for years. Have celiac as well and am now realizing the immense problem I am having with all of our typical high glycemic, starchy flours and am taking measures to correct this. I am a big foodie, too, have written a cookbook, etc.

So, went to primary care doc to better "dial in" this whole insulin thing (cardiologist discovered the serum insulin problem in the first place) and he states that even sugar substitutes and natural substitutes like stevia, Splenda, the whole ball of wax....are no-no's and can cause spikes in insulin in the body. He states that (due to my prognosis, family Hx, etc.) I should no longer have ANY sugar or sugar substitutes and that this will help retrain my pancreas to work properly...or something like that. (I have been on P1 of South Beach diet for a little over two weeks and, though feeling much better in the mornings than I was prior to the program, and having lost 10 pounds, I am still battling fatigue and stamina issues.)

Has anyone ever been told this about sugar substitutes before? I would love to hear how others are coping with the lower glycemic flour substitutes, better complex carbohydrates, and even living without occasional small amounts of sugar.

Thanks so much,

Diane in AZ