CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:28:57 -0400

Hi Daniel:

Those who are both diabetic and gluten allergic need not worry about traveling by plane, train, or automobile.  It's pretty easy, actually.  When traveling by car I always have an ice chest on the back seat and a supply of fresh bottled water, vegetables, sugar-free gelatin desserts, diet sodas, rice cakes, unsweetened nut butters, hard boiled eggs and low fat cheeses and a loaf of gluten-free bread -- and a large thermos of coffee (which I replenish at rest stops).  I will also have some sugar-free candies and homemade, sugar-free-GF cookies available for an occasional treat. If my husband (who has no dietary restrictions) and I do stop at a restaurant along the way I will order salads (without croutons) and the dressing on the side, veggies, baked potato and broiled meat, poultry or fish.  I also ask a lot of questions about toppings and ingredients.  Most servers are quite cooperative when you explain your problem and will check with the cook about ingredients.  If you take side trips off the main highways, you can always buy fresh foods from local supermarkets.

By the way, keep a supply of heavy-duty zipper bags.  When stopping overnight at a motel you can fill a couple of those bags with ice to keep your foods fresh.  You can also use those bags to store any foods that you might buy at the supermarkets.  It's really quite an adventure and very doable. Have a great trip and relax!