CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brenda-Lee Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:38:17 -0800

> Are there any products that are sugar free that do not contain
> aspertaine?
>
> The only thing I have found so far are applesauce's that say no added
> sugar.
>
> Are there any other products out there that have no added sugar?

There are Splenda based products, but I wouldn't use them any more than
those which are aspartame based.  There are also some using acesulfame
but artificial sweeteners like these are still unproven and many are
starting to list problems with them as well.

Have yu tried using stevia at home for yourself.  Stevia is sold as a
nutritional supplement, but is actually a sweetener 300 times sweeter
than sugar.  1/4 tsp makes a whole batch of GF and sugar free cookies.
A few grains sweetens a cup of tea.  I'd be happy to provide you more
info if you like.

> Next question.  I already called my doctor's office to ask this
> question but have not gotten a call back yet.  No one will be
> surprised about that.
>
> Can an undiagnosed thyroid problem throw your glucose levels off?  I
> was diagnosed years ago with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and basically told
> not to do anything about it.  Now my T4 and TSH numbers are out of
> range.  I was just wondering if anyone knew if there is a relationship
> between the two.

Any other chronic condition can throw sugars off balance.  The body has
to deal with the stress this causes and that affects how the cells make
use of your insulin or even if you produce enough.  All things work
together and a problem in one affects others.  You probably won't hear
that from a physician though.

> One more.  I noticed yesterday  that the glycemic index for brown rice
> pasta is 92 compared to spaghetti being 40.  Has anyone found a gluten
> free pasta that is made with something else besides brown rice that
> actually tastes good?

There are soy isolate pastas (be careful that they aren't blended with
wheat) but they usually taste like cardboard.  Other grain based pastas
are with too gritty (corn), have an unusual taste (quinoa) or are just
as high on the index.  Have you tried subbing a vegetable like spaghetti
squash for noodles.  This is a trick used in the low carb diet and many
are satisied by it.  Others use green beans in place of noodles and some
are recommended califlour in place of rice.

HTH

BL