CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:30:02 -0500

Breakfast: gluten free cereal (stock up b4 hand), milk, oj or fruit
Lunch: Tuna/PBJ/Cheese/Deli/Hard boiled eggs, gluten free crackers, salad
Snack: rice cakes, peanut butter, apple, gluten free power bars (can use for
meal also) Dinner: I don't know where you are sleeping (in your car?
motel?), but if you have any acess to an electrical outlet, I'd suggest
buying a single burner, and take a pot, some g.f. pasta or rice, and make
some of that if you can't get to a diner that is gluten freindly or 'in the
know.'  Also, some of my suggestions for lunch and breakfast take into
account that you have access to grocery stores, which I think will be easier
at the same time.

Blue Diamond Gluten Free crackers - they come in 3 or 4 flaveors, almond
being my favorite, Pamela's brownies - for that sweet tooth, Popcorn, Potato
Chips, tortilla chips, Salad dressing - gluten free, gluten-free cereal -
there are many different brands

With these basics I can always buy cheese, deli meats, fresh fruits and
veggies, and other things to put on crackers and eat with my chips.
I usually like to stop and have a hot meal once a day, and most small towns
have a cafe where you can get a hot potato choice, salad with no dressing,
and vegetables, and plain meat.  You may want to consider bringing a small
toaster oven that you can plug into an outlet in your hotel room for
breakfast toast- gluten free, and a hard-boiled egg, or have gluten free
cereal and milk or soy milk
If you get really desperate, there's always McDonald's french fries!
I hope this helps, have fun, traveling can be done gluten-free.  You would
be surprised.  One nice restaurant altered their salmon puff special and
made it without the puff  and cream sauce, and served it with rice to boot!

When travelling I've found it best to always be
prepared for every meal so I carry it with me. I make sure I have a cooler
and pack small V8 and tomato juices, egg and meat salads, cheese, fruit and
veggies.  Rice cakes and we can get corn cakes now/ 'Sweet Valley Bars' put
out some bars with 15 or so carbohydrates.  There is pistachio, hazelnut,
cashew, etc. I carry them with me everywhere.  Before that I always had a
pack of peanuts with raisins.  We watch out for family type resturants where
whole meals are served.  Fast food places are best to be avoided. When I
order I ask for no gravy and the dressing on the side. |When we go into a
resturant I carry a little pack with me to supplement the food I can't eat.
Driving in to a gas station on Monday there was a Kentucky Fried Chicken and
a Duncan Donuts or Tim Hortens and there wasn't really one thing I could
eat.  Wendy's and MacDonalds have a chicken salad that isn't too bad.
Although I tried the MacDonald's fajahdas - it looked as though I could eat
the filling - anyway, there wasn't enough filling to think of ordering it
again.  Given a choice I would go with the 'Buffet" if a place has one.

Well, I treat the trip like a big camping trip, basically. I pack a cooler
with lots of fruit (bananas are really good, esp. for emergency situations.
I'm type 1 diabetic as well, so when I need a very quick meal, I'll have one
banana for the 30 grams of carbohydrate requirement...) and some vegetables
(like zucchini, onions (a must, onions will make anything taste great),
lemons, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce), plain yogurt, etc. and a double bagged
brown grocery bag with non-perishable things like a zip-lock bag of rice,
rice crackers (yuk, but essential for emergencies....), a bottle of canola
oil, a spice jar with kosher or sea salt, a spice jar of olive oil (I
bring the spice jars of kosher salt and olive oil with me when I eat in
restaurants. I'll order a salad with no dressing except for a wedge of lemon
on the side, and then I'll dress it myself...), honey (also good for
emergency low blood sugars...), paper towels/paper napkins, a big bottle of
spring water, other gluten free foods (ie. cereal, almonds I toasted in the
oven, raisins, cans of tuna or sardines, (I always always carry a little
sandwich bag of raisins with me wherever I go in case of low blood sugar),
etc. Then in another duffel bag, I pack some bowls/plates/eating
utensils/knives for cutting/plastic tumblers, a hot plate, extension cord
just in case, a non-stick medium size pan with lid, a smaller pot with lid,
dish towels, some placemats/table cover to make a nicer setting for eating,
a cutting board, a manual can opener, wooden spoons, measuring cups, and
plastic containers with tight fitting lids.

I do go all out - but I nearly have to, especially when unable to tolerate a
miniscule of gluten and you really cannot depend too much on road food at
restaurants. It's nearly impossible, what with the type of diet us Americans
have, most things batter-coated, most foods processed, etc. etc. If you
can find a halal Middle Eastern restaurant, then you're in luck. You can
order the kebabs with rice... Also, Greek restaurants are pretty good, if
it's a good restaurant... (Incidentally, if you ever want to go to Europe,
Italy is an excellent place to go for gluten free eating - just avoid, of
course, the bread and pasta. But you can order the risottos, all the
vegetables are usually grilled, the seafoods and meats are grilled sans any
sort of coating whatsoever, the salads have vinaigrettes with balsamic
vinegar, the gelatos in a cup, etc. etc.) I usually have to start
packing things the day before. I also pack a lunch, usually a salad, since I
happen to love salads and must have one everyday, to eat on the road during
the first day of the trip. I put feta cheese or some tuna
in  the salad.

I found that most little unknown motels along the road (other than the usual
Sheraton, Radison inn, etc.) do indeed have REFRIGERATORS :)(Go figure...) I
would then unload my cooler into the frig (make sure it's plugged in), and
refreeze the ice packs. Otherwise, you can make a trip down the hall to the
ice machine and get some ice to put in the cooler... Then, I'll clear off a
tabletop, move away the lamp or whatever, and set up my hot plate and
cutting board and proceed to cook dinner. While preparing the meal, and you
can have a pot of rice going (1/3 cup of dry rice = 1 serving, also 30 grams
of carb, so if for 1 person: bring 2/3 cups of water to boil with pinch of salt,
add 1/3 cup of the dry rice, lower heat to low, cover and let simmer. Should
be done by 1/2 hour. Turn off heat, and can leave to sit with lid on, thus
further steaming, until ready to eat). You can saute the onions, diced
carrots, whatever vegetable chopped up, then throw in some chopped tomatoes
in the end and toss that on top of rice.... You can stock up on food along
the way by visiting the local food markets.... After dinner, I wash
everything in the sink, making use of the ample supply of towels and wash
cloths at hand. Breakfasts usual consist of yogurt and fruit, maybe a lil'
honey. Then before checking out, I'll make a little salad to eat on the road
again for lunch.

The most important thing is to have a very good supply of fruits, especially
for diabetic reasons.

*                   Search the logfiles at                      *
*    http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/CELIAC-DIABETES.html *