CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
lilian15 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:24:17 -0000

I am sorry you are having all these problems, it cant be fun and being
pregnant at the same time.

I have for many years been diabetic and had lots of digestive problems.  On
reading the book Dr. Bernstein's diabetic solution, I lowered the
carbohydrates I was eating and cut out all cereals and anything containing
sugar and flour, plus things like rice, corn, pasta, and some very high
carbohydrate fruit and I feel so much better for it.  My digestive problems
have GONE.

As you are pregnant there are of course nutrients you must get from all
kinds of foods, so I do not say cut them out (except gluten products if you
are celiac) but cut them down drastically.  Make sure you have sufficient
protein  in the fish meat and poultry range and have plenty salads and the
good kind of veggies, like broccoli, zucchini, aubergines, avocado pear,
runner beans, smaller amounts of carrots but try to avoid corn, peas, rice
and pasta.  Maybe have a very little potato,   Also drink plenty of plain
water.

I am not sure whether Celiacs can have things like cottage cheese, natural
yoghurts, cheese, nuts but they are all good things to have as a snack.
Keep the fruit to a minimum too (don't think fruit is a good thing to stave
off hunger - all it does is raise your blood sugar and you will be hungrier
after).  Better to have a small piece of fruit after a meal.

Almonds have potassium in them so almonds are much better for you than
bananas which contain lots of sugar too.

Do not have any margarines which contain hydrogenated or partly hydrogenated
fats, or anything that contains trans fats.  They are very very bad for you,
especially as you are pregnant.  There is a long explanation why - all to do
with the molecules etc. but I am sure if you want to know, you will be able
to find out about it.   Nor oils which go like that when heated.  The best
oils to have are the ones sold in dark bottles.  Something like extra virgin
olive oil.  Avocado pear is good for you too, although it is 'fatty' it is
the good fat, which the body needs.

Sorry I am long winded but I do hope it helps.  Try it for a couple of weeks
and see how you go.  My digestion problems cleared up within a week - and
when I cheat they come back, so I know it is all to do with the amount of
carbohydrates I put into my body.

Lilian