CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy Pfannenstiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:43:09 -0500

My 9 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 8 years.

Just a few weeks ago she tested positive for celiac, so unfortunately,
I am no great help for gluten free food.  Everything I see that is
sugar free (candy, cookies, etc.) has ingredients that she can't
have because of celiac!  Rachel's blood sugar levels are ok in
morning, but she is on new insulin called Lantus at bedtime.
It is milder than NPH but she can still have cheese stick and
microwave popcorn before bed so she doesn't feel deprived.

If your student is taking Humalog at meals, I would suggest giving a
little more at a meal to bring the highs down. Protein snacks (that they
can have as celiacs)  may stay in their system longer than higher
calorie foods that raise the blood sugar and then drop off, which may
account for higher readings.  At any rate, I too, am searching for help
in both areas, but particularly with celiac, as it is so new.  I have
lists that say some foods are ok or ? and others that say they are not
ok.  I want to make her a chex mix snack that she loves that was good
for her and didn't raise blood sugar levels, but now, hardly anything is
ok to put in it!  I have emailed Kelloggs asking about their Krispix
cereal as I think only ingredient that I questioned was malt flavoring,
but I read where if it is made in US, and if the cereal is 1/2 rice and
1/2 corn, why would they use malt  flavoring made from wheat?  If you
can help with specific brands of gum, diet pop, microwave popcorn,
cheese sticks (her favorite snack!), I would so appreciate it!!!!!!!

Please feel free to email me with any ? on diabetes.

I'm glad someone forwarded your message to me.

I hope you get it.

My name is Cathy Pfannenstiel, and my daughter is Rachel
and my email is [log in to unmask]
Hope to hear from you!