CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pete Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:25:42 -0700

Ginny,
My son is diabetic and celiac. He was diagnost diabetic when he was 6 and Celiac at 15 he is now 19. So I have been dealing with both problems for sometime.
As for the sugar craves...that I believe is more mental than physical but my son had similar craves. The answer is not to deny yourself, don't go crazy but if you want a candy bar or something sweet go ahead...just cover it with a small shot of insullin  H works great for short term quick sugar cover. Sugar ain't poison you need it don't buy into the "diabetic diet" crap. Eat what you want just stay away from  gluten. My experience is that the gluten diet was way more disruptive then the diabetes. Diabetes doesn't prevent you from eating what ever you want as long as you adjust your insulin and exercise accordingly. Eat the sweets and be happy just do it in moderation and monitor you blood sugars. Both of these health challenges are very much managable
 Ginny Mingolla wrote:---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------