CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
The Brennan Group <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:31:02 -0300

Hi Jackie:

My name is Tim Brennan I am currently traveling in Canada watching my 15
year old daughter play hockey as the goalie for her provincial (elite) team.
We live in Halifax, NS, but today she is in Caclgary Alberta. She has D &C
and manages quite fine on the road. Her secret is alternative meals rather
than substitutes.

On her list of healthy choices is an acquired taste for:

Greek foods
Indian foods
BBQ foods
Baked potatoes with all kinds of guey stuff on top of them
Breakfast foods for supper work too. Scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes with
lots of ketchup.

When she travels her biggest challenge is the starch requirements of the
Diabetes diet and for the energy for the sports teams. She travels with
Gluten free cereals that she eats like others eat potato crisps. French
fries on occasion are on her diet, but the best part that she enjoys is
getting to make restaurants make it HER way. She gets right into it and
deals with this by taking control.

Sometimes on the road the food can get repetitious. There was a week not too
long ago when she was playing at the National Championships where she lived
almost exclusively on Grilled Chicken salad and rice cakes for 3 days. We
were in a small community and they did not have many options. Those days
will happen, but they will never keep her from doing what she loves.

Tim Brennan