CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:19:58 -0500

I have received many great tips, suggestions and ideas.  Thanks to all for
the great replies and well wishes.

Visit a health food store, and pick up some gluten-free crackers.  Also
bring corn and or rice cakes to snack on, or substitute for bread to
make an open faced  sandwich.  I bake my own GF bread, and slice it up,
freeze it, and keep in a cooler when I travel along with my insulin.
You can always get ice somewhere.  I buy the individual size applesauce
(for a quick sugar fix), also some individual size yogurt.  When I eat
in a restaurant, I stay away from gravies, cream soups, and breaded
fish.  Baked potatoes and rice are safe.  I also carry my own cereal - I
like either rice and/or corn chex, or puffed rice.  And always carry a
few rolls of glucose tabs with you.

Just thought of something else I do:  chinese food is fine, as long as
you stick to stir fry (tell them to use only corn starch, no flour) - no
breaded fried foods please - keep a bag of tortilla corn chips around,
and crush them up over your stir fry, instead of the chinese fried
noodles - delicious and very satisfying!

 Don't forget to have glucose tabs available in case you need them.  Dried
fruit and nuts, individual cans of fruit juice, fresh fruits, sliced cheese,
gf crackers in case you need to eat on the road. You could eat prunes to
keep elimination regular because of lack of exercise. I'm not sure how gf
nutritional bars will work if you don't count carbs with each meal.

Get one of those fabric foldup cooler deals -- they keep things colder
than anything else I've tried. Use some of the little ice packs (sorta
like a sealed plastic jar?) and always get a hotel room with a
refrigerator to keep them frozen.  Things I keep in the cooler:  frozen g-f
bread and other homemade bread products (most important), cheese slices,
maybe hard-boiled eggs, tomato juice, etc.

Plain steak or grilled chicken, baked potato and salad can be found pretty
easily.  Just ask if the meats are plain or preseasoned.  For cheap and
quick, Wendy's is my choice.  Their chili, baked potato, salad, fries (but
I always double check that they have been fried in dedicated fryer with new
oil) and burgers without the bun are all gf.

I use Fearns brown rice baking mix found at health food stores Its GF makes
wonderful cookies and stores well during travel. When I buy fast food I
replace the buns with two of these cookies and throw the others buns away.
Also, I use sugar free strawberry jam or apricot jam with peanut butter on
the cookie for snacks... use extra effort to find Fearns Brown Rice Baking
mix and it will add a whole new meaning to your life style.

We have found that if we keep fresh fruits, a cooler with food is essential,
and lots of water to drink.  We also make or buy GF cookies, crackers etc
and take along GF peanut butter, jam and cheese whiz. We take along a box of
gluten free cereal and buy some milk as we need it. We do stop at some
places to eat but stick to chicken without coatings, mashed potatoes,
carrots, peas, corn, plain hamburger, Jell-O for dessert or ice cream if we
see their charts stating Gluten free sections. Just make sure you have a
cooler and you can take almost anything as will last for a few days.

We took a camping cooler in the car, and filled it with string cheese, milk,
butter, peanut butter, jam, bread I could eat, juice, yogurt, fresh veggies
like baby carrots, etc.  You can stop at any grocery store to replenish ice
and food.  I also had cold cereal that was gf with me, and ate that when the
motel continental breakfast didn't have anything that was appropriate (which
was most of the time!)  That way, you always have something if you need it
for low blood sugar, and you also can stop anywhere and eat when needed for
your time schedule.  We stopped at gas  stations, parks, etc. and ate.  If
you take a small dishpan or something similar with paper plates, cups,
silverware, napkins, paper towels, etc. it makes it very easy.  I even take
dish soap and reuse the plastic ware when needed.  We also stopped at
McDonald's and Wendy's as well as better restaurants as we went to get a
change and eat something a little different.

*                   Search the logfiles at                      *
*    http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/CELIAC-DIABETES.html *