CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:51:11 +0000

I am newly diagnosed with celiac disease and also have type 2 diabetes,
under control, and several other conditions which limit me in various
ways.  Now this.

My label reading has been confined to carbs, fiber, sugar and trans
fats.  Now I must look for gluten containing products, including
hydrolyzed what nots.  I am also reading a book by a doctor who promises
me I will get either a digestive system cancer or thyroid cancer if I
don't go gluten free.  Well, already had the thyroid cancer, resulting
in no thyroid and no parathyroid glands.  But that was in 2002 and I
have no idea if I had a problem then or not.

As a diabetic, I am very carb conscious and because I avoid breads and
other white foods, tho not exclusively, my gluten consumption is fairly
low.  However, I do use prepared soups, such as Progresso, as a base for
dinner soups, adding other ingredients which lower the gi, gl, of the
soup's ingredients.  Therefore, I am/was able to use soups with some
pasta.  I also eat/ate low carb pita bread and Dreamfield's pasta.  This
adds a great deal of variety to the meals I prepare for myself and my
family.  I don't cook multiple meals, what I prepare feeds the three of
us.  So they are going to have to change too.

I googled low carb and gluten free diets and was directed to a link to
the Paleo site.  There seems to be a lot of stuff there I will be able
to use, eventually.  Quite frankly, I am not going to throw out hundreds
of dollars of food.  And as we are packing to move, I am not in a
position to cook differently for myself.  In fact, cooking is hard when
I am very tired at the end of a day.  Hopefully, our move will be
complete by the middle of Jan, I will see the gastro the week before,
with a list of question, and I will be ready to begin a new way of
eating.  Again.

Well, just wanted to say hello, and see if I get any hellos back, maybe
some experiences others have had.

Helen