CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:45:56 -0400

If you want a good, nutritious meal/heavy snack, try a plain rice cake
spread with peanut butter and topped with applesauce.  I know most people
don't like rice cakes but the other flavors cover it up and just add the
texture of the crunch.  This isn't fattening, it's gluten-free and tastes
great.  Try substituting the applesauce with slices of banana and other
combos.

One apple here and a bagel there is not enough for your body to get any
nutrition and you're going to pay for it in the long run.  Eating less is
not the answer.  Ever notice how much thin people tend to eat?

Insulin lowers blood sugar so it creates a sense of hunger. I have always
found that using a long acting in the day time perpetuates a sense of hunger
as it is constantly lowering blood sugar whereas the non-IDDM person is
secreting the hormone as it is needed.

I found that when the celiac disease was diagnosed and I took the gluten out
of my system, my digestive troubles disappeared and the glucose molecule was
being generated more efficiently.  Removal of a digestive problem can add to
a sense of hunger and emptiness in a diabetic and added glucose molecules
will also add to weight problems so you need to manage your calorie intake
very carefully.

Insulin stores fat so you may have more problems losing weight than other
people.  Also, when your blood sugars drop you have to eat so you may end up
ingesting more calories than the non-insulin dependant person.  Remember too
that as a diabetic your daily calorie intake is much more fixed than other
people's so it is easy to overstep the mark so to speak.

In my experience, you can't manage weight when IDDM if you don't exercise.
You need to do about 30 minutes at least 4 times per week.
-------------------------------------
I have this problem, too.  It is related to the way that our bodies process
carbohydrates and is definitely insulin-related.  Try having some protein
when you eat.  Your bagel breakfast and the apple snack later on are pure
carbohydrate which does not provide satiety but does make you feel hungrier.
Try having an egg on your bagel, or having some cheese or peanut butter with
that apple.  Protein also helps to better stabilize blood sugar so you don't
get those extreme highs and lows.
--------------------------------------
Your post does not mention if you had cheese or peanut butter with your
bagel.

Protein which is found in meat, fish, milk products, eggs, tofu, nuts and
peanuts, can help
stabilize ones appetite. At breakfast I always have some milk, and peanut
butter or cheese on my GF toast.There is lactose in milk, which is a type of
sugar ; I have milk at meals.

Every meal needs to have protein.

Sometimes I have a piece of cheese in the afternoon to conquer the hungry
feeling.
My sugars remain stable because there is no mentioneable sugar in it.

The weight gain is a challenge. Increasing our insulin to better control
sugars makes us gain, makes us hypo so we must eat!! Unbalanced thyroid is
also
guilty, and of course now that we are on a GF diet we are absorbing!! Thus
weight gain!!
I'm not helping right!!

OK, something useful. Things such as beans, chick peas, pea soup, lentils
can help you
loose weight. You can replace rice products by these slowly and see how that
affects your sugars. Be aware that your insulin requirements can go down
(mine did). I still have quite a bit
of rice products, but am due to go back to those lentills!!
I have  ( had) the same problem.It was called carbohydrate addict.  I cut
out all carbs, all fruit and only ate veggies meat and fats, and what a
wonderful change.  It is not east, but I feel much better.  Just a
suggestion.
You could need your insulin dosage lowered, if you are not on insulin to
scale.
Have you informed your doctor that you are always hungry. Maybe you are
eating