CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Grochowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:38:14 -0500

Those who are both diabetic and gluten allergic need not worry about
traveling by plane, train, or automobile.  It's pretty easy, actually.  When
traveling by car I always have an ice chest on the back seat and a supply of
fresh bottled water, vegetables, sugar-free gelatin desserts, diet sodas,
rice cakes, unsweetened nut butters, hard boiled eggs and low fat cheeses
and a loaf of gluten-free bread -- and a large thermos of coffee (which I
replenish at rest stops).  I will also have some sugar-free candies and
homemade, sugar-free-GF cookies available for an occasional treat. If my
husband (who has no dietary restrictions) and I do stop at a restaurant
along the way I will order salads (without croutons) and the dressing on the
side, veggies, baked potato and broiled meat, poultry or fish.  I also ask a
lot of questions about toppings and ingredients.  Most servers are quite
cooperative when you explain your problem and will check with the cook about
ingredients.  If you take side trips off the main highways, you can always
buy fresh foods from local supermarkets.

By the way, keep a supply of heavy-duty zipper bags.  When stopping
overnight at a motel you can fill a couple of those bags with ice to keep
your foods fresh.  You can also use those bags to store any foods that you
might buy at the supermarkets.  It's really quite an adventure and very
doable. Have a great trip and relax!

Many frito lay products are gluten free, such as most of their potato chip
and corn chip varieties (list available from company).  I think these carbs
would hold up better than GF bread; cans of tuna fish; and lastly,
McDonalds--we order a hamburger without the bun and an order of fries.  Not
the healthiest, but great in a pinch.  The fries are prepared in oil only
used for potatoes, and carb counts are available online.

I recently traveled to Oregon from California. It was a quick trip.  I ate
breakfast on the road at a couple of what you would call off the road
diners. I had bacon, sausage, and omelettes. Be careful of the potatoes. ask
what is in them. Most waiters/waitresses don't have a problem bringing out
the carton for you to read. Lunch, nor dinner shouldn't be a problem either.
Just ask to read ingredients before ordering. I learn something new
everyday, and 've been GF for almost 7 years, and type 1 for 39 years. Also,
ask them to clean the grill if you are doubtful.

If nothing else I would take a pack of rice cakes (I use plain), a jar each
of peanut butter and applesauce along with you.  If you don't like rice
cakes, don't worry, it only adds good texture to the snack and the pb and
sauce will cover up that "cardboard" flavor that everyone describes.  Spread
the cake with the pb and top with the sauce.  This is a good all around
snack/small meal to have on hand always for the diabetes and celiac and fits
any meal definition and is balanced.  When faced with an eat-in place that
you don't know, I have found to stick to as close to natural as possible -
salads, etc.  Asian is usually a very safe way to go too.

There's some more tips for travelling on www.gluten.net..... I just found out
now that canola oil could be gluten contaminated - so maybe don't bring the
canola oil....

*                   Search the logfiles at                      *
*    http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/CELIAC-DIABETES.html *