CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rhonda Gurza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:23:11 -0800

I am a 45 year old diabetic, We have a family history of Celiac and Chrons.
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 . I was always out of control. Oral
medications ( including estrogen) did not seem to do the job . Hence I use
the patch for skin absorbption in the estrogen.  The docs kept insinuating I
wasnt even taking the oral pills.  Any way I started a glutten free diet and
within about 2 weeks I was sliding back from 40 units of insulin daily to
less and less, then in about 3 weeks glutten free and with exercising I was
able to totally eliminate my insulin shots.  I still stay very scheduled and
tatally watch my diet and am sure to get appropriate exercise.  As soon as I
eat some Wheat product, I have stomach pains bloat up in the upper abdomen,
get diarreah, I did this with the knowledg of my doctor and she worked with
me in trial and error.  I also took some amino acids. I would have never
however gone cold turkey off my meds. you are risking damage to your eyes,
kidneys, ( any thing that is small blood vessels. ( watch your blood
pressure.  Also I have found that when your sugar is out of control, the
water can build up behind your eyes and you can acturlly have better
distance for far sightedness, and worse for near sightedness. This is not a
good sign. Retinopathy and blindness is a very real threat for diabetics.
You need to work closely with a doctor or find one who will work with you.
Now that it appears I am able to use my own insulin and have enough for my
body weight. I am actually often Hypoglycemic now.  Now that my body appears
not to be fighting with the food intolerance, ( I still stay away from all
glutten, sugar , Yeast, and molds) I can actually make insulin sometimes in
abundance, after trying to force the pancreas to make more previously it
seems a little over stimulated. ( I can deal with this)  I have been insulin
free now for 6 months and in control, with the exception of a couple of
bottom outs.