CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Joretta Krogen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:31:37 -0600

Ginny Mingolla wrote:

> About 3 times so far I
> have woken up in the middle of the night with sweats.  When I take my sugar
> it's between 50 & 60.  The first time it happened I could not get in touch
> with my doctor so I asked a friend if I handled it right.  I had gotten up
> and eaten and gone back to bed.  She told be to stay awake until it gets
> closer to normal.
>
> I finally got in touch with my doctor after if happened again.  He changed
> the amount of insulin I take but it did not help.  Last night I woke up
> again and it was 52.  I stayed up for about 1/2 hr and kept testing my
> sugar.  I could only get it to go to 60 but felt I ate enough to get it to
> rise.  When I woke up this morning it was 222.  So, I ate too much.
> I would like to know how others handle this.

Take something quick acting.   Like instants glucose,  1/2 can of
regular classic coke works the best for me. By all means stay up - if it
hasn't raised in 10 minutes or so with the coke - drink more.  Take your
blood sugar at least 4 times a day to monitor and especially before bed.
Perhaps you will need to eat a snack of cheese to keep up your blood sugar.