CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:40:12 -0800

Shirley J wrote:  I have lost interest in sticking with counting carbs.
<snip>

Well Shirley- About the jello- if you called the manufacturer & they
verified it IS currently GF & you are not seeing any questionable
ingredients...... it would be worth giving a try. (Are you talking about
a dry mix or already made sf/ff pudding?)

As for counting carbs..... I have never been a "numerical eater"
myself--- doing mathematical tabulations of allowed quantities etc...
has not been my cup of tea.

I've had weight concerns as well-- maybe the 2 are related????<I'm sure
they are!>

Nonetheless....... to get a grip on diabetes control, you  DO need to
pay attention to carb values-- and that sneaky little clause they call
"serving size" on the nutritional fact labels.
You might scan the carb value and see "24g. carbs" & think - that's not
so bad.......
but then you look at the serving size per package & they are calling it
4 servings......
NOW that "not so bad" 24 g of carbs is actually 96 g. of carbs. (or more
depending on the serving size). What you have to be real cautious about
is the GF baked goods that have no labels. They are loaded with carbs,
so as a general rule of thumb celiac-diabetics
need to eat smaller quantities of these foods.

I think even casual carb intake awareness is very important to maintain
good BG values in the safe range. Are you doing self testing to see the
end results in your own BG levels?

Fran

--

mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Good humor makes all things tolerable ***