CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrea Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:20:36 +0200

There has been some interesting talk about the differences between the different types of diabetes and how they are diagnosed.  Type 1, like Type 2 diabetes can be diagnosed at ANY age.  Yes, it is true that most people with type 1 developed diabetes as children or young adults, but it can develop at any age.  The way to tell if it is type 1 is to have antibody tesing done.  If there are anti insulin and anti islet cell antibodies present, then you have autoimmune diabetes (type 1 or LADA or whatever).

Often it is difficult to determine the type of diabetes in an 'older' (older than 30) person who is newly diagnosed, if you don't do the antibody test.  The older you are at diagnosis, the longer it takes for the destruction of the insulin producing beta cells to be destroyed and many people at this stage can control their blood sugar levels with diet and exercise and/or oral medications for some time.  But since the destruction of the beta cells is underway, insulin is eventually needed (within a couple of years) to control blood sugar.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what type of diabetes it is.  What matters most is that the most effective way of controlling blood glucose levels is found and used. I would agree with other posters that there is no "diabetes diet".  You eat what anyone else would eat, count your carbohydrate intake at each meal or snack and take the appropriate amount of insulin to cover that amount of carb.

Andrea in Paris

* Visit the Celiac Web Page, http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/index.html *