CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Mock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:37:01 -0600

This new list is worth all the effort it may have taken to set up

I have suffered terrible thirst at night for about a year.
I wake up in the middle of the night with a DRY, leathery tongue
and my lips glued together, unless I eat meat during the day and
avoid ingesting large amounts of carbohydrates.

That is difficult at our house, where I mostly eat my husband's
very-low-fat vegan vegetarian diet.  (He has to eat that way
to control his coronary artery disease and avoid any
further heart attacks.)

My symptoms seem to resemble Sjogren's Syndrome, except
that the problem only occurs at night, and is especially bad
if I eat or drink something sweet.

Recently I discovered that hormone replacement therapy (HRT),
especially the progesterone (?) element of it, can upset one's
blood sugar balance.  I have been on HRT for two years.

Does anyone have a good source of detailed information
on this?  Can HRT provoke type 2 diabetes?  Do the doctors
take HRT into account when they diagnose this disease?

Carol in St. Louis

Maryville University Saint Louis