CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:20:49 -0800

Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac (beg.
of Aug) And have had diabetes for 16 years. I am still
trying to adjust and find it quite difficult as I am
trying to graduate college this semester. I am on a
pump as that has tremendously helped me along. But
simce I have had to go on a gluten-free diet, there
have been times where I'll have a reaction to gluten
that I was not aware of being in the product.

Sometimes, even the manufacturer's say that the
product is gluten free. Does this happen? Also, I get
nervous about the fact that all these accidental
gluten intakes is going to give me complications, and
is begginnig to drive me paranoid about what I eat as
well as throwing me in the other direction of just
being frustrated and not caring. Anyway, can someone
tell me how bad these accidentals are? Is it like
hyperglycemia - not good and will contribute to long
term complications if not really controlled, but the
rare accidents are not a big issue?

Thank you,
Yehudit

====

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything
you gave me.' - Erma Bombeck