CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 11:41:18 -0700

Judy C. wrote:
A long-term test was done in which a large group of diabetics were
tracked over a fairly lengthy (10 years, I think) period of time.  Those
who had maintained tighter control without upswings had less
complications with eyesight, neuropathy, etc. I'm sorry that I don't
remember that name of this test.  I want to say it was something like
NIDDM or similar but I don't remember what the letters stood for. <snip>

The test is the DCCT- Diabetes Control & Complications Trial a 10 year
study, showed that that patients w type 1 DM who maintained bg within
narrow- near normal ranges reduced their chances of developing most
complications.

However -poor candidates for this extreme tight control are:

those with hypo unawareness
younger than age 7
other complications

there is a website w/ DCCT reports- I don't have the URL though....

By the way- NIDDM stands for Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus- or
Type 2
IDDM stands for Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus- or Type 1
*Even if a type 2 begins to use insulin for DM control, they remain a
Type 2
but become an insulin using NIDDM.
The difference is the type 1 does not produce insulin at all.

fran