CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:46:12 -0400

Well, as you can see this list is alive and well.  I guess we can debate the
well part but we are all taking care of ourselves.  It's great to see so
much activity here.  I have to apologize because some of the posts I tried
to answer were sent directly to the list instead of the individual.

I got answers to my questions from 17 people.  Thank you to all who replied.
We have a very intelligent and warm bunch of people on this list.  I think
all but 1 were diagnosed with diabetes first and then celiac.  Everyone said
the diet for celiac was the hardest part.  Since I have that down I guess I
am doing pretty good.

Basically what I learned was to have an antibody test done.  Someone sent me
a web page for LADA:

Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA)

http://www.ssdg.org.uk/pdf/what_is_diabetes.pdf

I'm sure I am either Type 1 or LADA but I need to know for sure for the sake
of my children.  If they ever have medical problems they would need to know
so I am going to ask my doctor to do the test.

As far as the cravings go some of the answers were  :
Insulin causes cravings
Forbidden fruit type of thing
No replacements for forbidden foods.
I think it my case it is the last one.  I get so busy that I really don't
take the time to do the baking that is so necessary.  I should be making
more gluten free, sugar free products.  I need to make the time to do this.
Does anyone have a really good recipe for bagels?

Two people said not to buy into the "Diabetic Diet" thing.  As long as I
cover my foods with insulin I should be ok.  I guess I need to be a little
easier on myself.

Again, it's great to see this list so active.

Ginny

*                   Search the logfiles at                      *
*    http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/CELIAC-DIABETES.html *