CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrea Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:18:24 +0100

From what i have heard, this happens all too often.  Many many kids with type 1 diabetes are found to also have CD upon routine screening, yet they never had any symptoms prior to diagnosis.  It makes me so happy to hear of centres who actually do the routine screening.  I had been very sick with symptoms of CD when i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and they still didn't screen me for it.

Please don't give up even though he felt better before eliminating the gluten.  Although he didn't feel sick, he was likely not absorbing essential nutrients to help him grow and his bones develop.  When i was diagnosed with CD at the age of 23, i already had osteopenia because of the lack of calcium absorption.

You have to be 100% sure everything he is eating is gluten free.  Some people also have transient lactose intolerance when they are diagnosed with CD, and that can have some of the same symptoms.  This usually clears up as the intestinal lining heals.  Check with manufacturers about all foods you cook with.  Try to prepare him foods from scratch as much as possible to avoid the possibilty of cross-contamination.  Make sure he does not use the same toaster as the rest of the family.  I'm not sure how you would do this, but make sure he isn't trading food at school.

You must turn into a food detective.  If you are sure he isn't getting any gluten, you could also look into the possibility of other food sensitivities.

Andrea in Paris