CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Malkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:50:18 -0500

Just want to thank the many people who responded to my email about
frustration in preparing meals. Since I was recently diagnosed as a
Type 2 diabetic I guess I was feeling a bit sorry for myself.

With all the people who responded, many who are Type 1, I realized
that I will be able to manage.  Some even shared recipes and gave me
ideas on what foods to eat, like whole fruits instead of juices; leafy
greens and lots of salads (which I love).  They also told me to stay
away from breads and pasta if they are made with high carb flours.
However, just about everyone told me to hang in there.  That it does
get much easier.  And you are right.  It has gotten easier.

I had a doctors appointment this past week and he put me on a
modified low carb diet.  Nothing white -- no white potatoes, or white
rice or anything made from them.  I am to eat whole fruits on occasion
and lots of low sugar veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, leafy greens and
some beans.  If I want a snack, eat unsalted walnuts, pecans,
cashews and macadamias.  And, once in a great while I can have
something I love, like sugar free chocolate -- so I don't feel totally
deprived.

By the way, I found a great tasting sugar-free dark chocolate bar made
by Ross Candies.  My local Kroger supermarket carries them.
They're located in Canada and when I emailed them about gluten
contamination they said the dark chocolate bar is totally gluten free.
So, at least you can, once in a while, have a piece of chocolate.  The
sweetener they use is maltitol and does have a laxative effect if you
eat too much of it.

Again, thanks for all your encouragement.  I feel I've made some very
good and caring friends.

Rita
Toledo, OH

* Please provide references to back up claims of a product being appropiate *